COVID-19 Update: We are open!
We know how crazy things can get over the holiday season, with the shopping, decorating, family get-togethers, and everything else we pile onto our to-do lists. It’s easy to overlook some of the hazards and other safety issues that can take place in and around our homes at this time of year. Let our property restoration experts at Proserve DKI relieve some of that worry by offering these 8 tips that will keep your home, and family, safe and sound over the holidays and ensure that you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
While there’s nothing like a roaring fire to get you into a holiday mood, anything that needs to be lit with a match can be cause for worry. Before you hang those stockings with care, make sure your chimney is cleaned and cleared of any combustible materials such as creosote deposits, which are one of the main causes of chimney fires. Also, place a screen on your fireplace to prevent sparks from escaping.
Speaking of flames, candles can also be a major cause of house fires. Be careful not to place lit candles near or on flammable materials such as curtains, paper napkins, or tablecloths and never leave a candle burning in a room unattended.
A colourless and odourless gas that results from the incomplete combustion of fuel, carbon monoxide (CO) can be deadly when large amounts are released into the air. As carbon monoxide can be produced wherever there are fuel-burning devices or appliances, the best way to mitigate the damages and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to install and maintain CO alarms. For multi-level dwellings, it’s recommended that CO detectors be placed on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms, as well as in laundry rooms (if gas appliances are used), furnace rooms, garages, and any powered workshops or mobile trailers/campers on your property.
While we’re talking about alarms, it’s also important to make sure your smoke alarms are working, especially if you have a tendency to overcook the turkey! Press and hold the test button on all your smoke detectors. If you don’t hear a loud-pitched alarm, replace the batteries right away.
If you notice your home’s windows are fogging up or are filled with moisture when the air outside is cold, or if there is a presence of mould anywhere in your home, it could mean that your house is not properly ventilated. To increase the air circulation and allow for water damage abatement, try:
A burst pipe is a sure way to dampen your Christmas spirit. To keep your plumbing in working order when the weather outside is frightful, flood cleanup companies such as Proserve DKI suggest you:
If you plan to light up your home like Clark Griswold’s from the cult classic Christmas Vacation movie, make sure you don’t do what Clark did and plug up every electrical outlet in your home. For high-wattage outdoor, Christmas tree and mini lights, it’s best to plug only one device into each receptacle outlet at a time.
For more property restoration safety tips, read how to Prevent Fires and Hazards in the Bedroom.Proserve DKI is one of the only property restoration companies serving Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo area residents with sewer and flood cleanup, fire and smoke damage restoration, asbestos and hazardous material removal and disposal, as well as wind and water restoration services. Call our emergency line at 1-780-791-3663, available 24/7 – 365 days, including over the Christmas holidays.