Keep allergens such as mould down by wiping windowsills. Mould restoration may be required if large amounts of mould or toxic mould are found in your home.
Spring can be an especially tough time for those who suffer from allergies. Itchy eyes, runny nose, and aching sinuses tend to be the result from all that added pollen and dust floating around in the air. However, similar symptoms can occur inside our homes due to both seen and unseen allergens such as mould. Find out what allergens are most common indoors, what the symptoms are, and how to reduce them with mould restoration and cleaning services.
What are the Symptoms of Allergens?
Allergens are substances that trigger a hypersensitive response in our immune systems. Found in our food, drink, and our environment, most allergens are harmless. However, some, such as mould, can cause severe reactions such as respiratory distress.
Other allergic symptoms include:
- Sneezing, coughing, wheezing
- Clear nasal discharge or blocked nasal passage (rhinitis)
- Swollen throat, glands, lips, tongue or face
- Red, watery and itchy eyes
- Tightness in chest
- Dry and cracked skin
What are the Most Common Indoor Allergens?
There are numerous allergens inside our home that can affect our family's health. The most common is dust, which is caused by particles and debris from dust mites. Other common allergens include:
- Mould spores
- Pet dander
- Pollen (brought from outside the home)
- Cockroaches (from shedding skin, feces)
- Indoor plants (from mould in the soil or on the leaves)
- Smoke or fumes
What to Do About Allergens in Your Home
There are several ways you can allergy-proof or limit the allergens in your home.
- Replace old carpets or rugs with allergen-proof flooring (hardwood, linoleum, low-pile carpeting), and vacuum regularly
- Wash bedding, towels, blankets and other fabrics at least once a week
- Bathe and groom pets regularly
- Clean up mould in your house by reducing condensation from window sills and frames and increasing ventilation in areas where moisture is present
- Wash curtains and dust blinds frequently
- Replace wood burning fireplaces with natural gas fireplaces and attend to any smoke or fire damage in your chimney or elsewhere with smoke restoration services
- Encase pillowcases and mattresses with dust mite-proof covers
- Place screens on windows or use air conditioning during the spring and summer months
- Use a HEPA air filter to reduce particulates in your home
- Prevent hidden mould by attending to any water damage such as broken or leaky pipes with flood restoration services
Learn about the Symptoms of Mould Exposure and how it can affect your health.
Reduce the risk. Contact Proserve DKI at 1-780-791-3663 when mould is found inside your home. We are one of the only property restoration companies that offers biohazard cleanup, including asbestos cleanup services in Fort McMurray and the surrounding Wood Buffalo area.