COVID-19 Update: We are open!

Tip Toolkit & News

How to Prevent Electrical Fires

Faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of appliance fires

Faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of appliance fires

Electrical fires are one of the leading reasons for fire clean up services in Canada. Some of the leading causes of electrical fires include inadequate wiring, damaged electrical cords and plugs, overloaded outlets, as well as defective and overheated appliances and electronics. Prevent the need for extensive house fire damage restoration by finding out which appliances and electronics are most likely to malfunction, and when it’s time to unplug them.


The Most Common Culprits

While most of our household appliances and electronics have safety features that prevent them from overheating, there are times when they can malfunction. Some of the most common culprits include:

  • Dishwashers
  • Refrigerators
  • Microwave and toaster ovens
  • Toasters and other small appliances
  • Dryers
  • Computers, smartphones
  • Devices, toys that operate on lithium-ion batteries


Use with Caution

You can prevent the need for extensive house fire clean up when shopping for new appliances and electronics, and making sure you maintain existing devices by following these tips:


For household appliances:

  • Only buy appliances that have been inspected by a certified authority
  • Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions
  • When on vacation, disconnect your small appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, hairdryers, etc.
  • Discard faulty appliances or have them fixed by a professional
  • Clean out dust and debris from appliances that use hoses, fans, and vents


For electronics:

  • Make sure that the protective cover on wiring is not frayed or damaged
  • Unplug your smartphone, laptop, or camera after it is fully charged (do not overcharge)
  • Never leave your device in direct sunlight
  • Do not stack your electronics on top of one another
  • Avoid “fake” chargers. Only use chargers provided by the device manufacturer.
  • Keep your electronics in a well-ventilated space away from any fire hazards such as curtains, blankets, carpets, etc.
  • Shut down your device if it starts to overheat
  • Regularly clean your device to prevent dust build-up


For more safety tips from our fire restoration company, read How to Protect Your Property from Fire Hazards in Summer.

One of the leading property restoration companies serving Fort McMurray and the Wood Buffalo regional district, Proserve DKI offers 24/7 emergency disaster relief 365 days a year. Protect yourself from the elements, with water, wind, sewer, fire, and smoke damage restoration and services, and more.