COVID-19 Update: We are open!
Have you ever entered the dark recesses of your basement to find flooding or other water damage, and a fuzzy growth crawling up your walls and ceilings? Mould not only looks gross, but it can also lead to health complications for you and your family. Learn the best way to handle mould and avoid an infestation by calling a water damage restoration company such as Proserve DKI for safe mould clean up.
Apparent by its fuzzy texture and off-colour appearance, mould can lurk anywhere where moisture and oxygen live. Some of the most common places to look for signs of mould in your basement include:
Mould feeds on moisture. That’s why it is crucial to make sure you tackle the source of what’s leading to mould growth. Make sure to check your basement for signs of moisture resulting from:
While there are a few types of mould found in basements, one of the most dangerous is Stachybotrys Atra, otherwise known as black mould. It typically has a strong, musty smell, similar to rotting leaves, and has a slimy dark-greenish appearance.
When inhaled or absorbed, black mould can cause health issues, such as:
If you suspect toxic mould growth in your basement, do not attempt to remove it yourself. Instead, contact a mould restoration company, such as Proserve DKI, for proper mould remediation and clean up.
For more information, read our Mould Restoration Q&A: How Dangerous is Household Mould.
If you suspect toxic mould growth in your home or basement, contact Proserve DKI. Our biohazard team serves Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo with professional mould cleanup and restoration services to safely remove all offending mould spores.