COVID-19 Update: We are open!
Safety has been at the forefront of everyone’s mind as students return to school and adults go back to the workplace. While hand sanitizer, face masks, and social distancing are now part of our daily routines, there are other safety measures that we shouldn’t forget. Electrical safety is one of them. Did you know that one of the top work-related injuries is caused by electrical fires, shocks, and burns? Find out what hazards are present at your place of business, and manage the mitigation of damages from electrical fires and injury with our Proserve DKI safety checklist.
One of the main causes of electrical fires that often require extensive fire damage restoration is from faulty wiring. Get your building’s electrical system checked by a professional if you notice:
Just as your wiring can cause electrical hazards, so can your connections. It’s especially important to check connections If you’ve undergone a renovation or any type of business property restoration project. A loose connection can lead to your electrical system overheating or overextending, which can lead to injury or fire.
Your building’s grounding system works as a backup plan, as it guides all electrical currents on an alternate pathway in case something goes wrong with your wiring system. Most ground faults can be detected by checking for tripped breakers in your breaker system. Contact a professional electrician to inspect your building’s electrical system if you notice any electrical shorts that cannot be corrected at the breaker.
Most outlets and multi-outlet power strips (or surge protectors) are designed to handle low power loads, such as your computer and printer. Plugging in other high-current devices, such as a space heater or microwave, into the same outlet can not only cause your electrical breakers to trip, but also electrical fires from units overheating, causing extensive fire damage clean up. It’s also important to never plug in one multi-outlet bar to another for the same reason.
Ensure that all electrical cords are kept away from high traffic areas and that all cords and cables are inspected for visible signs of damage. Avoid plugging in any cords and cables that are not designed to be used with the specific electronic device or piece of equipment.
Unplugging your computer, copier or other piece of office equipment will not only prevent electrical issues and fire clean up, but it will also save you money on your energy bills. Never pull out a cord by the wire. Instead use the plug to safely remove it from a wall outlet or power strip.
Heat and moisture can cause your electronics to short, break, and in some cases, spark. If you spill water or coffee on your computer or other device, make sure to:
For more safety tips, read Mitigation of Damages: 5 Ways to Prevent Fires in the Fall.
If your office or building has experienced a fire or smoke damage, contact Proserve DKI for emergency disaster relief. Our property restoration team has all the necessary skills and equipment to clean up fire debris, handle repairs, and safely manage smoke damage clean up and more.