COVID-19 Update: We are open!

Tip Toolkit & News

What Exactly Makes Mould Harmful?

A mould restoration professional has the knowledge and equipment to tackle harmful indoor mould growth.

A mould restoration professional has the knowledge and equipment to tackle harmful indoor mould growth.

Have you ever noticed a fuzzy green or black substance growing inside your home? Does your basement smell musty? Have you experienced breathing difficulties while spending large amounts of time in your home? These could be signs of indoor mould growth. We look at the dangers of certain types of mould, what happens if you’re exposed to mould spores, and why professional mould restoration services are essential in keeping your home and family safe.

What are the Different Types of Mould and What Do They Look Like?

There are more than 100,000 types of indoor and outdoor mould. The most common household moulds that trigger allergic reactions include:

  • Aspergillus: The most common mould, there are 180 species of aspergillus. The mould is typically black on the surface with a whiteish or yellowish tinge underneath. It is generally found on organic matter such as compost, dried and fresh plants, and food products. Aspergillus has also been detected inside of air conditioning units.
  • Cladosporium: Cladosporium appears as clusters of greenish, black or yellow spots and is typically found in damp, moist areas of a home such as basements, attics, bathrooms, and around sinks and faucets.
  • Stachybotrys Atra (also known as black mould): One of the deadliest types of mould, Stachybotrys has a musty, earthy smell and is typically detected in building materials rich in cellulose (drywall, wallpaper, carpeting, insulation) that have been affected by water damage.

What are the Symptoms and Risk Factors of Mould Exposure?

There are several risk factors associated with high concentrates of household moulds. When mould is left to grow, the spores can release into the air and then be inhaled, causing allergic reactions such as coughing, itchy eyes, sneezing, and throat and skin irritations.

Those with compromised immune systems or asthma can experience wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness,

Other risk factors include:

  • Aspergillosis: An infection of the lungs that can occur when exposed to aspergillus fungus. Symptoms include fever, chest pain, breathing difficulty, and coughing up blood. In the worst-case scenario, the fungus can spread to the liver or kidneys, causing them to malfunction.
  • Mould Poisoning: Caused by mycotoxins found in black mould, mould poisoning can trigger systemic inflammation and toxicity. Symptoms can include fatigue, nosebleeds, brain fog, headaches, joint pain, anxiety, swelling, and circulation issues.

Why Cleaning up Mould in a House is Important:

According to Health Canada, indoor mould growth is a significant health hazard caused by damp conditions and water damage. As mould exposure can trigger allergic reactions and serious health complications, it’s essential to enlist a professional mould cleaning company to address any water and mould damage restoration in your home.

A mould restoration company, such as Proserve DKI, can:

  • Identify the source of mould growth.
  • Contain areas of damage using negative pressure.
  • Safely remove mould spores.
  • Apply specialized equipment such as dehumidifiers to prevent further mould growth.
  • Attend to any water damage restoration to limit future mould exposure.

To learn more, read: How Older Insulation Might Be Making Your Air Worse.

Looking for water damage and mould restoration companies in Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo? Contact Proserve DKI. Our biohazard team specializes in the most extreme mould restoration cleanup projects.