COVID-19 Update: We are open!

Tip Toolkit & News

5 Ways to Keep Your Home Fire Safe This Holiday Season

Ensure your family has a wonderful holiday season with our fire restoration safety tips.

Ensure your family has a wonderful holiday season with our fire restoration safety tips.

It may be a tradition to deck the halls with a multitude of Christmas lights and hang stockings over the fire, but the holiday season also brings on its fair share of fire hazards. Keep your home safe by looking for potential dangers and know what to do if there is a fire emergency in your home. Have a holly, jolly season by being proactive about fire safety and following these helpful tips from our Proserve DKI fire restoration team.


Choose the Right Decorations and Electrical Products

The best way to avoid an electrical fire is by making sure all your cords, lights, and decorations are fire safe by:

  • Not using any lights or other decorations with frayed or damaged wires.
  • Choosing the right bulbs for indoor and outdoor use.
  • Using decorations that are non-combustible or non-flammable.
  • Turning off all lights and decorations when you go to bed or using a timer to shut them off automatically.
  • Making sure all electrical equipment is properly inspected and approved by an accredited certification or evaluation agency. Learn what approval certification markings should be on the product label by reading this article from the Electrical Safety Authority.


Avoid Overloading Outlets and Extension Cords

We’ve all seen that Clark Griswold lighting fiasco in the Christmas Vacation movie. Don’t be like Clark: Avoid plugging too many lights and other decorations into outlets and extension cords. Overloaded circuits can overheat and start a fire. Use this rule of thumb by plugging in no more than three standard-size light sets per extension cord. Another way to protect circuits from overheating or shorting is by plugging all outdoor lights and decorations into a portable ground fault circuit interrupter (GFC), available at your local hardware store.


Be Careful with Candles and Your Fireplace

We all love the warm glow of candles, and the fireplace lit over the holidays, but they can also cause extensive fire damage restoration if left unattended. Do your due diligence by:

  • Clearing your fireplace of ash and attending to fire clean up using a metal container and completely extinguishing any ash or embers outside your home.
  • Using a fire screen on your fireplace.
  • Keeping all candles and flames away from your Christmas tree and other flammable materials.
  • Blowing out candles and putting out your fire before you leave the room or go out.
  • Not burning gift wrap or other packaging materials in your fire.
  • Removing stockings from the mantel when the fireplace is lit.
  • Hiding matches and lighters from your children.


Check Your Smoke and CO Alarms

With all the baking, decorating, and visiting, it’s easy to forget a simple precaution to prevent house fires, and that is making sure all your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working correctly. Our smoke damage restoration experts recommend that you test all your alarms and that you have the next step in place before the busy season starts.


Make a Fire Emergency Plan

The holidays are often a time when visitors stay overnight. Ensure everyone is safe by alerting both your family members and visitors of your emergency plan. Show them all emergency exits and where to evacuate if a fire should occur. Establish a muster station outside your home. Call 911 immediately and then your insurance company and Proserve DKI for smoke and fire damage cleanup as soon as possible.


For more fire restoration tips, read 5 Proactive Ways to Avoid an Electrical Fire Clean Up.

Serving Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo with fire and smoke damage restoration services, contact Proserve DKI at 1-780-791-3663 for 24/7, 365-day emergency disaster relief.