COVID-19 Update: We are open!

Tip Toolkit & News

Energy Safety: How Powerful is Your Power?

Overloaded circuits and faulty wiring are two of the most common causes of electrical fires.

Overloaded circuits and faulty wiring are two of the most common causes of electrical fires.

Did you know that some of the leading causes of home and building fires are electrical circuits overloading and faulty wiring? Many older homes and buildings in Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo may have worn or older wiring and circuitry that spark and start fires. Keep your home and business safe by ensuring your electric components are up to code. Contact Proserve DKI if you experience a fire and need fire restoration and clean-up services.


Look for Signs of Overloads

The average home electrical wiring can only accept so much power. But as homes age, their wiring and circuitry may not handle the increase in all those modern high-energy appliances and devices. Make sure your power draw can take the load by looking for these signs of trouble:

  • Frequently tripped circuit breakers, power outages
  • Flickering or blinking lights, primarily when appliances are bring used
  • Walls that are warm to the touch
  • Sizzling or crackling sound using appliances


Watch your Wiring and Outlets

Even a modern home can experience faulty wiring due to poor installation, water damage, or wear and tear caused by pets and pests.

When inspecting your home, look for signs of:

  • Frayed or chewed wiring
  • Outlets that spark a white or yellow colour instead of blue
  • Burn marks /discolouration around outlets
  • Short circuits, when a ground wire from your outlet becomes loose and a hot wire touches the ground or another neutral wire
  • Lengthy or big sparks
  • Burning smell


What To Do if you Suspect a Power Problem

Prevent electrical fires from overloaded systems and faulty wiring by having a professional certified electrician conduct an inspection. Do not attempt to do any repairs independently, as fiddling around with electrical wires or circuitry can cause shock and even death.

Contact Proserve DKI if you experience an electrical fire for immediate fire restoration and smoke clean-up.


Get information by reading How to Reduce Fire Danger in Your Home.


Do you need restoration and clean-up services due to fire, smoke, wind, water, sewer, and other hazards? Contact Proserve DKI in Fort McMurray, AB at 1-780-791-3663 for 24/7, 365-day emergency disaster relief.